Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, April 23, 2012

Pepperoni/Pizza Rolls


I am married to a man that LOVES pepperoni. In any shape, way or vessel. The man is a pepperoni NUT.

Growing up in West Virginia he and his family frequented a bakery callled "Tomorrow's". Their slogan is "tomorrow's bread today". They do have delicious bread. I love their pizza dough. Brooks? He LOVES their Pepperoni Rolls.

I feel bad because we rent and have a very small freezer and when we visit West Virginia he can only bring back so many pepperoni rolls because we don't have room.

I saw this recipe on Pinterest and I thought, "with a few modifications to meet my husbands tastes this could work!"

This recipes is adapted from the blog *Riches to Rags*

Ingredients 

3 cans of Grands Buttermilk Biscuits (8 to a can)
Pepperoni slices (you could also use little sticks)
Blocks  of cheese (Colby Jack, cheddar...I used mozerella string cheese)
Egg wash (1 beaten egg with a little water)
Parmesan
Garlic Powder
Pizza sauce (optional..to dip)

Directions

Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.

Cut the blocks of cheese into 24 pieces. Take one raw biscuit and flatten with your hand (not too thin). Lay down two pieces of round pepperoni slices. Stack the cheese on and then top with two additional pieces of round pepperoni slices. Repeat 23 more times. Place completed rolls into a (preferably glass) lasagna pan.

Crack one egg into a bowel and add a tblsp of water and beat until fully integrated. Take a culinary brush and brush the egg wash lightly on top of the rolls.  Lightly sprinkle with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 18-20 minutes.

Make sure you go easy on the egg wash on top. As you can see mine are Golden Brown and delicious, however, some of the dough was still a bit raw. Thankfully, there was enough risidual heat in the oven that another 2 minutes did the trick.  

Ok, this is the orignial recipes. The only things I modified were
#1. I did not use Italian Seasoning
#2 I cut Mozerella String Cheese into thirds for the cheese
#3 I used 4 pieces of pepperoni (two on bottom and two on top of the cheese)...because, as I said, my husband LOVES pepperoni.

Results

My husband gave these an 8 out of 10. However, he said they tasted a whole lot more like Pizza Rolls than Pepperoni Rolls. Which isn't a BAD thing because we like Pizza Rolls....but I was going for more of a pepperoni rolls thing. His suggestion to make them less like Pizza Rolls is to 86 the garlic powder all together, no parmesan sprinkling and use Cheddar cheese inside instead of string cheese. 

However, he did say that these are delicious for Pizza Rolls and asked to take some to work tomorrow for lunch :) 


**UPDATE**

These heat up VERY nice in the microwave. I heat up about 4 of them in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes. Dipped in a little pizza sauce 4 of these will TOTALLY fill you up.

Bainigi sult as an bia

No comments:

Post a Comment